[lit-ideas] Re: Back to Hegel (and further back to Aristotle)

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:44:24 +0100

Or is it unfair, or at least unconsistent, to brand Hegel as "Analer Zwangscharakter", just because he rated a whole branch of the Old European spiritual tradition as bullshit? Anyway, all those - sit venia verbo - assholes, all those Napoleons & Hitlers & Stalins & Saddams & dubyas, look feeble against him who had them all rot glorieless on the trashpile of history. But then, I remember Sir Karl, in a rather Dantesque fit, condemning nearly all of the Abendland's major gurus, from Platon to Hegel and beyond, to be boxed within the eternal bondages of unopeness. Seems to be a favourite sport among philosophers. "Them narrow-minded assholes out there!"

Take, for an example, Manny who's on Eric's list; Harry Heine described him as sort of philosophical Robespierre (== control freak), letting the Ancien GOd swim, unproven, in his blood. Nietzsche, as I guess witout much further thinking, or even reading, took this hint when he set up his picture of the philosopher using his system as a means of exerting power.

While this is the kind and dimension of control freak we're looking for, most persons on Eric's list don't qualify. Dull dictators, brainless money-grabbers, artists striving for perfection, just the common average guys & girls. Yet it's interesting that Noam Chomsky is listed too. Without considering the point of his mentioning here being off topic or not, let me say that as a political voice, he does for the USA what Thomas Mann did for Germany. You'd better be grateful.

joerg,
encircled by the Piet Kong

Eric Yost schrieb:
>>Hmm, if you're looking for the model control freak - who could beat him [Freud]?

* Mao
* Walt Disney
* Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli
* Manny Kant