[lit-ideas] Back to Hegel (and further back to Aristotle)

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:23:13 +0100

On 24. Nov 2006, at 21:28, joerg benesch wrote:

A definition? you serious? Sir, you must have been delivered The Wrong Box ...

Isn't there a novel by that name co-written by Robert Louis Stevenson? I can't remember - what was in it (i.e., the 'wrong box')?

... this mail came from Suebia, home of Hoelderlin & Hegel ("Ich jedenfalls habe nie etwas so Flaches gedacht...") ...

Or elsewhere (i.e., in his aphorisms): "Ich wenigstens habe nie so plattes Zeug gedacht." For the rest of us:

     Regarding historical logic:  We are assured
     that we make the judgement: Gold is yellow.
     This assurance is probable. But not so
     equally probable is [the assurance that] we
     conclude: all human beings are mortal;
     Gaius is a human being; therefore he is
     mortal.  I at least have never thought such
     dull rubbish.  It is supposed to occur
     internally, without our being conscious of
     it. Of course, many things occur internally,
     e.g. the production of urine, and something
     even worse; but when that is externalized,
     we hold our nose.  Likewise with such
     conclusions.

(There is a bit of wordplay on the verb 'schliessen' - here: 'to conclude' - and the German word for the anal sphincter: 'Schliessmuskel', which is beyond my - here hastily exercised - translation skills. Perhaps another list member ....)

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany