[lit-ideas] Re: BRAGGING RIGHTS

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:33:40 -0500

Irene,
Your post can easily be read as insinuating that those who criticize corruption and malfeasance in office by African Americans do so out of racism. I'm sure that's not what you meant to imply, for not only is it absurd, it's insulting as well. You further seem to imply that Dolphin and I are apparently too stupid to recognize corruption in white politicians and office holders or that we are indifferent to their crimes (being likewise white).

Furthermore, if you knew Mayor Willie Herenton, you would know that he has no problem whatsoever liking himself. He has actually claimed that he's mayor because God wants him to be. This is Herenton's 17th year as mayor of Memphis. I was very excited when he was first elected in 1991. And I voted for him twice after that mostly because he is African American, and I thought it imperative that the old White Planter Mentality that had ruled Memphis for 150 years be thoroughly quashed. And it was. Too thoroughly perhaps. It has been replaced by over arching arrogance and disdain for anyone who disagrees with His Honor or dares to question his integrity. A man who plays the race card with every hand.

I'm sure that you did not mean to imply those things, that you were simply voicing support for the African American community, and God knows, support is needed, especially in this racially divided city. But why you felt the need to do so in reply to our posts, I don't know, certainly neither of us has made any untoward remarks in regard to African Americans, only in reference political corruption.

In regard to Kunstler's thesis, I can't comment with anything but my own prejudices which I do freely and frequently share. I will say that Memphis and Nashville are very, different cities. The demographics are different (Memphis is 60% black, 30% white, while Nashville is the flip of that) the geography is very different (Memphis is flat delta land, Nashville is lovely hill country) the economics are very different (Memphis is poor, Nashville is much richer). Why Kunstler would select the South as study in suburbanization, I don't know. There are not very many large cities (over a million people) in the South. Atlanta is one, and yes, it's surrounded by suburbs, but most of the population there are not indigenous to the South, I think. Houston and Dallas are large cities as well, and again, I would be very surprised if the majority of people living there are Southern born and in any event, I count Texas as Western, not Southern. The Memphis metropolitan population is 1.3 million and Nashville's is 1.5, but the cities proper count only half that. Memphis is ranked the 18th largest by city population, but only 41st by metropolitan population. My point is that while suburbanization is true of the South, it is far less a factor than other parts of the country. How the world will adjust to shortages in oil supply seems more pressing for cities like New York and LA and Philadelphia than for cities like Nashville.

In order to thrive economically, Nashville
had to identify itself with everything "country."

Nashville is the 2nd largest (NYC is 1st) music production center in the US. That's not "country music". It's a $6.5 billion industry and employs over 19,000 people. Hardy, your "Grand Ole Opry" operation. But music is not the major industry in Nashville, Health Care is. With over 250 different Health Care companies headquartered in Nashville, -- an $18 billion industry -- it employs over 94,000 people. Kunstler's cartoonish image of Nashville makes me question the quality of his research.

Socially, suburbanization represented a decisive
victory over everything thought to be represented by
city life, especially things thought to be effete and
unmanly, like the traditional arts.  Of course the
ersatz country folk of suburbia had their own art,
country music, but wearing large hats immunized its
practitioners against effeteness and made it manly.

Arrant nonsense.

>So, life imitating art killed
Nashville.

I didn't know Nashville was dead.  I'll have to tell my relatives there.

It strikes me too that segregation is a
form of species-wide dissociative disorder, or Jungian
Shadow.

Segregation?  Meaning what?

What we don't like in ourselves we
collectivize and project onto others.

Speak for yourself.

That doesn't explain
widespread white corruption, but it does explain
acceptance of widespread white corruption.

Acceptance by whom?

In fact,
not only acceptance of white corruption, but of
downright humility in the face of it, as we look in
awe at the robber barons and other mostly illegally
amassed white money, including the CEO's of pharma and
on and on.

Speak for yourself -- again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy" <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>