[lit-ideas] Re: BLOWBACK BACKFIRES AT MUTTON

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:02:36 -0700

Dear Mutton College Faculty:

Last semester I let the faculty know that the Greater Nebraska Commission on Colleges and Universities (GNCCU), our regional accreditation organization, had agreed that Mutton could submit a "focused report" on our new M.A. referencing Sheepskin Studies instead of the full scale institutional self-study they had asked us to complete by late this summer. Generally, a substantive program change, such as adding the capacity to award advanced level degrees, as we did in the fall of 2007, triggers a comprehensive institutional self-study. We were able to argue for this accommodation based on the evidence of progress and the successes described in our 2007 Regular Interim Report, and that to turn the College's attention away from the tasks at hand that were growing enrollment and reputation could negatively impact the College's future.

I am pleased to inform you that GNCCU has also agreed to move its campus visitation from November 2009 to May 2010. Because the GNCCU Visitation Team needs the report 4-6 weeks ahead of time, I was concerned any report completed in time for a fall 2009 visit would not include faculty voice and faculty would not have had a chance to read and offer input to the scope and shape of the report.

While my office still intends to complete a draft of the focused report by the end of summer, we will now be able to gather faculty input and recommendations in the fall and complete the final report by the beginning of the new year.

Please ignore the wreckage of the piano in our boardroom and refer all press inquiries to my office.

Regards,

Hugo