[lit-ideas] Re: Ayaan Hirsi Ali

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:37:57 +0100

I'm not saying she won't be safer in the US.  A lot of people would be.  But
they would find it difficult to get into the US particularly if they'd lied --
on major points -- on an immigration application for another country (where
there were no extenuating circumstances).

It's also true that she has fallen foul of a very right-wing very
anti-immigrant Immigration
Minister -- a member of her own party -- and indeed it seems of her own
party; which is increasingly anti-immigrant.  (And "immigrant" is in the
Netherlands defined more
widely than elsewhere.)

>(de Jong)"You could argue that everyone liked her as a token...
>but maybe they weren't willing, because she was a woman and
>an immigrant, to accept her as an intellectual force

That may well be.  I deplore both sets of prejudices -- anti-woman and
anti-immigrant.

Judy Evans, Cardiff