[lit-ideas] Re: -- Autonomy and Influence

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:39:43 -0400

A curious last paragraph, Lawrence. Of course it's better to survive than allow ourselves to be destroyed. Where our differing presuppositions come in is in the determination of why and whether and by whom we are being attacked. The answers to those questions determine what we do about the 'threat.' So there's nothing trivial about these presuppositions. To paraphrase Nietzsche, the administration's resolution to find the world ugly and bad, has made the world ugly and bad.

An experiment.... This is in the news this morning:

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) - U.S.-led coalition aircraft killed up to 80 suspected Taliban militants in a night airstrike on a rebel stronghold in southern Afghanistan, the coalition said Monday. The local governor said 16 civilians also died. A coalition statement said it had confirmed 20 Taliban killed in the attack on the village of Azizi in Kandahar province late Sunday and early Monday, while there were ``an unconfirmed 60 additional Taliban casualties.''

I haven't read the rest of the story and don't know anything except what these few sentences say. My first thoughts upon reading this follow from my presuppositions about all kinds of things. The first words tell us that 'aircraft killed.' I wonder whether that's intentional. Is this an attempt to sanitize the process, taking our soldiers out of the equation -- or worse, was this a drone aircraft and they're now leaving that word 'drone' out because it 'unsettles' people (and we know how Bush worries about that). The word 'coalition' makes me fume. That word 'suspected' looms far larger for me than it might for you. I don't easily come to believe anything 'the coalition' says. 'Rebel stronghold' is suspicious to me, conjuring images of pacified villages in Vietnam. And 'Taliban' is used as though these people are all wearing name tags. They were the government of Afghanistan and they were attacked and it's exactly that same sentiment about how it's better to defend yourself than let yourself be destroyed that motivates them. And then there are the '16 civilians,' all of whom had homes and hopes and worries and warts and who, taken all together, should be too high a price.

Your turn...

Ursula

Lawrence Helm wrote:

Now in taking these trivial presuppositions forward in a study of Islam, Islamism etc after 9/11, I did presuppose that it was better to survive than allow ourselves to be destroyed or even to be continually attacked by Islamists, but surely this doesn’t need to be elevated to a presupposition. It is in our nature to want to be secure and to resist being attacked by enemies. We are not like Lemmings who rush to or invite our own destruction; although I won’t deny the possibility that a Lemming-like inclination could develop as a social pathology. In studying the nature of Islamism I attempted to evaluate the seriousness of the threat. I did assume that the threat was real and not a myth as John Esposito argued, but surely that is another trivial presupposition.

Etc

Lawrence