[lit-ideas] Re: Auden and Machinery

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 05:04:08 +0200

I am not very knowledgeable about American history, as Robert Paul has
pointed out, but have you read James Jones' From Now to Eternity ? It
contains a good description of pre-war Hawai and the attack on Pearl
Harbour. Some of the later novels make allusions to the Korean War which
are not very convincing in themselves but suggest that it was a part of the
atmosphere in 1940s America.

O.K.,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Thanks for the diversion,

I believe I once saw the Spruce Goose on display in Long Beach California
near where the Queen Mary was docked at the time. That's what I remember
but I won't swear it's true. I went to work at Douglas Aircraft Company in
1959 when many of its legendary engineers were still alive and if not them
younger engineers who knew them well. I can recall the flying wing being
much discussed.

I was born in October 1934 and recall starting out for church when my
father stood on the porch and told us Japan had just bombed Pearl Harbor.
I recall poring over newspaper articles about what was happening in Europe
and the Pacific as the wars went on. The one war I was in doesn't interest
me as much as the earlier World Wars. I was interested in the Korean War
when it started but I was only 15 I think at the time and when I finally
got over there at age 18 the main fighting had already taken place. I
don't think I've ever read a decent history of the Korean War but I have of
World Wars one and two . . . & many others . . . come to think of it not
the Vietnam war though or any of the later ones.

Lawrence

On 6/11/2015 9:47 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

On Jun 11, 2015, at 9:11 AM, Edward Farrell wrote:

Apologies to all. This was meant for Lawrence and not the list.

Not a problem; I've heard of others making a similar error and I was
thinking of writing something along the same lines. No doubt, given the
generosity of many of this list, I was among the slowest to do this.

Instead I shall try to divert Lawrence with findings from a visit to the
Evergreen Air and Space Museum, in which collection people can see the
Spruce Goose, a Spitfire, an ME 109 (which, the blurb said, should properly
be called the BF 109), a P38 and a video about its role in killing
Yamamoto, an SR 71 Blackbird...on and on. Re-visiting after nearly a
decade away, I saw new things, in particular an American copy (painted
yellow) of the V1 rocket which, the explanation said, was intended to aid
in the invasion of Japan. In some ways I prefer the collection that used
to be kept in a blimp hangar in Tillamook (and is now spread between there
and the high desert somewhere). Both collections cause me to reflect on
the future of the past. The average age of visitors was very high. When I
taught the Second World War this semester, in a course on Twentieth Century
history, students were casual about distinguishing it from the First World
War, the Korean War, the Vietnam War. I thought I might get their
attention with a YouTube clip of Eisenhower's speech about the
military-industrial complex. Ha! Old dead guy, talking about who knows
what. They wanted to get on to the roots of identity politics and to the
decade in which they were born. Many in this generation divide the past
into "before me," which is uninteresting and "my lifetime," which is alive
with interest. Maybe 'twas ever so, but I don't recall being like that.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

No virus found in this message.