[lit-ideas] Re: Auden

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:45:37 -0700

First of all, the quotation marks indicate imagined paraphrases, for which we in the Gambini family offer our sincere apologies. Secondly, there are markers which have not been collected, notably after the word, "dictum." These have been taken care of.

If anyone is interested in further discussion, may I refer you to our good friend Freddy "Big Nose" Nitch, who knows how to take care of business.

Sincerely,

D. Riccolo
Portlano, Oregon

On Sep 1, 2008, at 10:34 AM, David Ritchie wrote:

I am struck by how formulaic, under the rhetorical flourish, this review is. "The writer seems to be hankering for a different subject. There are one or two lapses...which prove my own erudition. May I finish with some praise?" And yet I think his re- casting of the "write was you can observe carefully" dictum" is well phrased and in this instance, about right.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html? res=9405E7DA143BF93AA3575BC0A967948260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2