[lit-ideas] Re: At the window, through the glass

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:32:53 -0500

{SHE SAID}:
"father, mother, sister, brother,
uncle, aunt, nephew, niece,
soldier, sailor, physician, labourer,
actor, scientist, mechanic, priest
earth and moon and sun and stars
planets & comets with tails blazing
all are there forever falling
falling lovely & amazing}

----> that is to say: existence IS, and it's all related, and it's doing
its thing by its own laws. Don't touch, please. Just go along to get
along. <---

{HE SAID}:
that may be very well, I said
but watch the one falling in the street
see him gesture to his neighbours
see him trampled beneath their feet
all outward motion connects to nothing
for each is concerned with their immediate need
witness the man reaching up from the gutter
see the other one stumbling on who can not see}

----> that is to say: yes, existence is, yes, but it's nasty, brutish and
short. Where is that which will make it meaninful? <-----

{SHE SAID}:
when will you ever learn
that what happens there beyond the glass
is simply none of your concern?
god has given you but one heart
you are not a home for the hearts of your brothers
& God don't care for your benevolence
any more than he cares for the lack of it in others
nor does he care for you to sit
at windows in judgement of the world he created
while sorrows pile up around you
ugly, useless and over-inflated

----> that is to say: Look at you -- still trying to make sense of
existence. There is no sense to it. There's no good, there's no bad,
there's only existence. It is as it is and your judgments are meaningless,
get over yourself. Yes, you want it to make sense, you want it to validate
your own self. Ha! Existence doesn't care enough about your and your
sorrows and sufferings to even have scorn for you. Stop trying to make
sense of it. Just get on with it.

{I SAY}: Now that's PHILOSOPHY, folks. Tomorrow we look at the other
side of the coin: "Here's the scene, you're in the backseat....

Metamike of Memphis.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Redacted sender Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 9/12/2015 3:45:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx quotes in "Musical Philosophy" from Nick
Cave:
As I sat sadly by her side
At the window, through the glass
She stroked a kitten in her lap
And we watched the world as it fell past
Softly she spoke these words to me
And with brand new eyes, open wide
We pressed our faces to the glass
As I sat sadly by her side

Nice.

I read from Wikipedia, that in this album,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_More_Shall_We_Part

"Cave's lyrics are less obscure than usual."

which of course is a reference to D. K. Lewis, the British philosopher. In
an attempt to refute you know who (his initials: H. P. G.), Lewis edited a
collection,

"Clarity is not enough"

which has as a subtitle a line to the effect that the collection of essays
is intended as a criticism of linguistic philosophy. H. P. G. had talked of
the desideratum of clarity at various places. Clarity of course is the
antonym of obscurity, and so, Wikipedia, by stating that in items like
"As I
sat sadly by her side", Cave is "being less obscure than usual" (well, his
lyrics, but how can his lyrics be less obscure unless HE is?) the ...
shall
I say implicature is that he's becoming the anti-Grice!*

For HPG, obscurity is a desideratum in that it challeges 'rationality' of
'co-participants' in conversation, "be perspicuous", "avoid obscurity of
expression" are there as conversational only to FLOUT them by intelligent
conversationalists who want to IMPLICATE other than they say, and further
wish
their addressees to catch how smart they are!

A good thing is that the full lyrics seem obscure enough to me!

Cheers,

Speranza

at the window, through the glass 1
she stroked a kitten in her lap
& we watched the world as it fell past
softly she spoke these words to me
& with brand new eyes, open wide
we pressed our faces to the glass
as I sat sadly by her side 7
she said, "father, mother, sister, brother,
uncle, aunt, nephew, niece,
soldier, sailor, physician, labourer,
actor, scientist, mechanic, priest
earth and moon and sun and stars
planets & comets with tails blazing
all are there forever falling
falling lovely & amazing
then she smiled & turned to me
& waited for me to reply
her hair was falling down her shoulders
as I sat sadly by her side
as I sat sadly by her side
the kitten she did gently pass
over to me and again we pressed
our indifferent faces to the glass
that may be very well, I said
but watch the one falling in the street
see him gesture to his neighbours
see him trampled beneath their feet
all outward motion connects to nothing
for each is concerned with their immediate need
witness the man reaching up from the gutter
see the other one stumbling on who can not see
with trembling hand I turned toward her
& pushed the hair out of her eyes
the kitten jumped back to her lap
as I sat sadly by her side
then she drew the curtains down
& said, when will you ever learn
that what happens there beyond the glass
is simply none of your concern?
god has given you but one heart
you are not a home for the hearts of your brothers
& God don't care for your benevolence
any more than he cares for the lack of it in others
nor does he care for you to sit
at windows in judgement of the world he created
while sorrows pile up around you
ugly, useless and over-inflated
at which she turned her head away
great tears leaping from her eyes