[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 01:16:36 -0000

 >looked at your sites.

Did you *read* the piece by Schain?

>The following from UNESCO is clearer about the status of multiculturalism in
>France

Did you *read* it?  I read (had read, when I posted) the Abstract, which I
quote:

Although France is de facto a multicultural society, historically this
 interpretation has been very much contested by the Jacobin tradition
which has been opposed to the right to be different, pluralism and
group rights. Recent presidential elections and the rise of the
National Front appear to confirm this reading. However, ideological
multiculturalism has begun to make inroads into the French model
of citizenship through the political accommodation of migrant groups,
especially at the local level. Ideological multiculturalism is the only way
 to maintain a strong and vibrant French identity, open to the new
challenges of globalisation, migration flows, diversity of religions and
plural allegiances to nations and states. In France, like most democracies,
the rise of claims for difference means that the republican model of
integration has no other choice but to negotiate with multiculturalism.

You say it "is clearer about the status of multiculturalism in France"

I hope that means you've understood what I've been trying to tell you.  But I
see you haven't.
You say

LH> France is described as a de-facto Multicultural society.

De facto *multicultural*,  Yes.

LH>One of your articles says they aren't really; which is what I wrote.

I say it isn't really multiculturalist, that multiculturalism is not its ethos
(nationally and in principle).

> The French boots on the ground don't accept multiculturalism.  I used a
> French word "sabots" rather >than boots or galoshes, but I assumed that
> sentence would be understood.

I understood it.

But your contention seems to be that the French elite tried "multiculturalism"
but French workers don't like it and anyway multiculturalism is doomed to fail.
 It's a contention based, it appears, on remarkably little knowledge. Schain is
an expert.  Read him.

Judy Evans, Cardiff