[lit-ideas] Re: Assault Crimes

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:45:16 -0700

I was referring to this: "The murder rates of the U.S. and U.K. are also
affected by differences in the way each counts homicides. The FBI asks
police to list every homicide as murder, even if the case isn't subsequently
prosecuted or proceeds on a lesser charge, making the U.S. numbers as high
as possible. By contrast, the English police "massage down" the homicide
statistics, tracking each case through the courts and removing it if it is
reduced to a lesser charge or determined to be an accident or self-defense,
making the English numbers as low as possible."

From this:  <http://www.reason.com/0211/fe.jm.gun.shtml>
http://www.reason.com/0211/fe.jm.gun.shtml

Someone, maybe Judy, said it was the other way around and I don't have any
additional info at this point.

Lawrence