[lit-ideas] Art and Nature

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:12:27 -0500

In a message dated 2/14/2015 3:42:16 P.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I really don't  give a damn who created a work of art, my only interest is
the work  itself.  I have always approached works of art this way.  All art
should be signed simply "Artist".

Well said.

Geary goes on to speak about the Devil, who I think WOULD give a damn,
though.

>don't give a damn who created a work of art, my only interest is the  work
itself.  I have always approached >works of art this way.  All  art should
be signed simply "Artist".

I think it was Da Vinci* who wrote, possibly in Italian, that

Nature is the art of God.

And I would think Aquinas thought he found the signature, too!

Cheers,

Speranza

* He was being metaphorical, for the reverse (to the adage, 'nature is
God's art', predicating something about art) does not seem to hold. Why?