[lit-ideas] Arne's Marmalade

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 21:21:40 -0500 (EST)

Or Jam.

>>Rule, Britannia! Take off those funny wigs.
>>Britons  never never never will be prigs.

In a message dated 2/3/2013 12:04:54  A.M. UTC-02, rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
a parodist with any conscience at all  would keep to the rhythm
and meter of the original psalm.

I guess  the original parodist was indeed perhaps, talking of conscience, a
(failed)  conscientious objector at  heart?

Cheers,

Speranza

----

This source refers to  the crackers (rather than fireworks) as being three
(in  number).

http://www.poopreport.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5054

Rule,  Britannia, marmalade and jam
Three Chinese crackers up your *rs*hole
Bang, Bang, BANG!

---

The Oxford cite is related to

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-people/48-brothers-arms/372
-songs-war.html

where  the author philosophises, and I agree, on the meaning of "Tommy's
Tune"

-- What counts as "Tommy's tune":

"The songs were not sung to  specific original music but were parodies of
well known music."

"It is  not surprising that many soldiers' songs were parodies of hymns."

"For  example the hymn, 'Take it to the Lord in prayer' became 'When this
Bloody War  is over' and the hymn, 'Abide with me' became 'There's a Street
in Cairo full of  sin and shame.'"

[again, I agree with R. Paul here that

"a  parodist with any conscience at all would keep to the rhythm
and meter of  the original psalm."

and I find it fascinating that "Tommy" was able to  make the verse scan]

"These are what may be termed 'soldiers songs'  whereas the songs 'Keep the
Home Fires Burnings and 'I'll Make A Man of You' are  NOT."

"They are NOT, because they were written by professional  musicians."

"It may be of interest to know that "Bless ~Em All" started  as "F*** rEm
All" in the Royal Naval Air Service in 1916 and was not intended  for
publication."

"Many of the songs from a longer time ago came from the  ranks of those
with only an elementary education, were perhaps semi-literate and  who would
not aspire to commissioned rank."

"War songs are quite  definitely NOT SOLDIERS' songs."

"It is very unlikely that any soldier  ever sang this sort of beautiful
drivel:

Sound, sound the clarion, fill  the fifes
To all the sensual world proclaim,
One crowded hour  of glorious life
Is worth an age without a name.
----- Sir Walter  Scott. (War Songs 1908). C. Stone)

"But soldiers did sing:"

'Rule  Britannia, marmalade or jam
Chinese firecrackers up your *rsehole -  bang bang bang bang bang'.