[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:38:57 -0230

Quoting Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>:
snip

> If
> two men both in principle endorse horrible violence,
> then the only moral criterion that remains to
> distinguish between them is that one was prepared to
> live up to his principles, while the other was not. I
> stand behind what I said in the above, but within its
> proper context.
>
> O.K.

Irrational consistency cannot constitute a moral criterion since morality is
grounded in rationality. The perceptually challenged baseball umpire who always
calls a pitch two inches below the strike zone a strike is acting with perfect
consistency. (Source: Habermas or Larmore, I think.) It remains the case,
however, that he should not be an umpire.

(But then is it still true that, in the words of one epistemologically-oriented
umpire: "They [the pitches] ain't nuttin' til I calls 'em."?)

Rooting for Deutschland ueber alles,

Dr. O.