[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:02:59 -0700

This stuff is well known Mike.  Wahhabism originated in Saudi Arabia in the
18th Century.  Salafism came along later.  They were both Fundamentalist in
nature.  Maududi wrote and was very influential in the days before and after
Pakistan became an independent nation.  The Muslim Brothers, influenced by
Wahhabism, were influential about the same time in Egypt.  Sayyid Qutb was a
Muslim Brother.  The Shiite equivalent was just as influential if not more
so through the work of Khomeini.  Islamism is a (if not the) predominant
religious viewpoint in the Middle East.  It is not a small fringe belief
held by a few radicals.  Osama bin Laden is but one follower of the
teachings of Sayyid Qutb.  Yes, in earlier times Islam was more peaceful,
but we don't live in those times.

However, you are mistaken in arguing that Islam was more peaceful than
Christianity or Judaism.  Islam has always been militant.  It encountered
Judaism and Christianity by conquering nations that held those beliefs.
Muslim slaughtered Christians for about 200 years before the first crusade
was launched to regain the Holy Lands.

Colonization of the Middle East?  What are you talking about?  Algeria was
colonized by the French but that is the only nation in the Middle East that
was colonized to the best of my recollection.  I hope you aren't saying that
Israel was a colony.

Do you want to know whom we are fighting when we are fighting back?  We are
fighting against the Militant Islamists who have declared war against us.
You must have noticed that they have been attacking us.  Their attacks
escalated until 9/11 and then we decided to fight back.  You must have
missed it.  So you think these people who have declared war against us and
attacked us are innocent people?  That is an interesting viewpoint but
difficult to prove.  Someone attacking you, your family, your friends or
your allies isn't normally going to come across as innocent.

Iraq not the enemy?  Iraq had a Baathist form of government influenced by
Nassar which advocated Pan-Arabism.  This was the modern equivalent of the
Ummah advocated by Mohammad.  The Ummah doesn't have borders.  It is one
people.  Saddam sought to achieve Pan-Arabism.  It was his ambition and he
pursued it with diligence until he was at last stopped by UN forces in 1991.
He was stopped but hadn't given up his dream.  And you think Saddam and his
Sunni Baathists innocent?  One needs a hefty set of blinders to believe
that.  Baathists and Islamists had roughly the same goals.  They disagreed
as to who ought to run things.

Islamism and its Baathist equivalent is organized murder.  It is evil.  It
wholeheartedly needs to be opposed.

Lawrence