[lit-ideas] Re: Aren't you glad you no longer have a Hitler problem?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:21:59 -0700

Yes, yes, bona fide and not bone fide.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, but I've
hardly been unrelenting.  I have been quietly reading Taylor's Sources of
the Self and was up to page 321, relenting during the entire process until
my attention flagged and I turned to Kershaw's Hitler, 1936-1945: Nemesis,
and had a sort of out-of-body experience in which I saw hoards of lit-ideas
Leftists wafted back to America of the 30s and heard them adamantly oppose
going to war with Germany.  They were quite as hard on Roosevelt as they
have been in modern times against Bush.

And then I reflected upon the significance of opposing going to war with
Hitler and other folk like Saddam Hussein who need urgently to be opposed by
someone.  When I reflected, probably still out of body, upon what it was
that they did oppose, I found it to be the dear old U. S. of A.  Oh yes, I
heard the protest that they were opposing Bush and not . . . well they
didn't precisely say what they were not . . . , but they took up various of
the current anti-American themes made popular in speeches of Saddam Hussein,
Osama bin Laden, Ward Churchill and Mike Geary.  Here, listen to Mike and
see if there are any dictators or broad Islamist movements that need to be
opposed.  Heck, there's no war at all according to him.  He just wants to
arrest a few people, a gang or two - maybe give them some tickets - or
warnings.  Notice that he mentions Iraq as "innocent" - only innocents in
Iraq - probably a veritable Garden of Eden - and we went and destroyed it -
all in the name of cheap oil and there we really screwed up because if we'd
left Saddam alone we could have gotten really cheap oil but we had to go
messing with him and now the price has gone up:

Lawrence

MG> Yes, the Democrats can tell the American people that the "War of
Terrorism"

is an necessary police action against Al Qaeda, an organization that brought

death and injure upon us and from all apparent evidence intends to visit

more of the same.  They can tell the American people how the Republicans, in

their ideological zeal to establish hegemonic colonies in the Middle East,

fucked up the "war" against Al Qaeda so royally that they have in fact

vastly increased their number and support for their goals, that the

Republicans have turned America into a reviled country across the world by

our Guantanamo gulag, by our embracing of torture and the disappearing of

people into secret prisons around the world.  They can tell the American

voters how many tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis have been killed in our

attempt to establish Iraq as our home base in the Middle East.  They can

tell them about the crime this country has committed by destroying that

society, that culture, that country all in name of cheap oil.  They can tell

the American voters that the Bush Administration abandoned the war on terror

in March 2003 when it invaded Iraq to establish it as our colony only to

spur North Korea and Iran into nuclear ambitions.  They can remind the

American voters that all this was done through lies, lies, lies told to them

by the top leadership of the Bush Administration.   They can tell the

American people that they (the Democrats) who voted to authorize Bush to use

military force deserve one last chance to make right their terrible wrong.

They can beg forgiveness of the voters for their political and moral

cowardice and plead for this one last chance to make it right, agreeing that

if they don't make it right, they should all be shipped to the Hague and

hung for crimes against humanity.   They can tell the American voter that

this is not a war against Islamism.  It's a police action against terrorist

gangs.  They can tell the American voters that this country's ever

increasing descent into theocratic fascism and totalitarianism and secret

police statism will be stopped dead in its tracks.  They can tell the

American voters that if they want to be safe, they'll have to pay the

cost -- not of war, but of justice.  We must begin withdrawing our troops

and set in place a Marshall Plan to rebuild that country -- the cradle of

civilization, the HOME of us all,  the home we destroyed in the name of

cheap oil.  Globalism must cut both ways, it must make everyone's life

richer, not just ours.  The Democrats must tell the American voters that we

have no lock on the truth, that in fact we're a spiritually deprived

culture, that we have as much to learn spiritually from Islam as they have

materially from us.  Honesty -- wow!  Wouldn't that be a novel approach to

politics.