[lit-ideas] Re: Are you really that old?

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:18:52 -0400

You know, I'm well aware that things change over time and that people grow
up with different things.  When people tell me they had something when they
were "growing up" that I didn't have when I was "growing up," it doesn't
shock me in the least, in fact, it think it's neat.  I like learning about
these things.  But okay, I'll humour you.  Let's see...

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.     NO
Ignition switches on the dashboard.    NO
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.   NO
Real ice boxes.   NO
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.   YES (they still have
those)
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.   NO
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.   YES (it's called "the
finger")

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
 Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about!
(Ratings at the
 bottom)

 1. Blackjack chewing gum  NO
 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water  NO
 3. Candy cigarettes  YES (have eaten many)
 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles NO
 5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes  YES (those are still
around)
 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers  NO
 7. Party lines  NO
 8. Newsreels before the movie  NO
 9. P.F. Flyers  NO
 10. Butch wax  NO
 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (BUtterfield 8-6933)  NO
 12. Peashooters  NO
 13. Howdy Doody  YES
 14. 45 RPM records  YES
 15. S&H Green Stamps  NO
 16 Hi-fi's  YES
 17. Metal ice trays with lever  NO
 18. Mimeograph paper  YES
 19  Blue flashbulb  NO
 20. Packards  NO
 21. Roller skate keys  NO
 22. Cork popguns  YES
 23. Drive-ins  YES
 24. Studebakers  YES
 25. Wash tub wringers  NO

9.    Well, I failed.  Whatcha gonna do.  I was 18 when I joined Phil-Lit.
Now I'm 22.

Erin
Toronto

 SCORING:
 If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
 If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
 If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
 If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!