[lit-ideas] Re: Are you out there, Didier?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:37:56 -0500

This isn't such a bad thing.  Keeping things legal and above board is a
good thing.  I wonder if your Brazilian friends can comment on the bribery
and off the books stuff that goes on in Brazilian medicine.

> In US medicine, for example, doctors often are
> forced--in order to protect themselves against
> possible litigation by creating a lawyer-proof
> paper trail--to order tests they know are totally
> unnecessary, driving up the cost of health care in
> general.

'Totally unnecessary' is probably not going to save anyone any liability.
If anything, it could point to negligence.  I think a case can be made that
the medical community works on the buddy system of making work for itself.
Pharma is definitely in cohoots with doctors.  Lawyers do make money on
two-bit plaintiff litigation in workers comp cases and the like.  Still,
without them, employers would do what they want, and so would insurance
companies.  I wonder if anyone saw the 60 Minutes show on hospitals
charging insurance companies one price, and charging consumers
astronomically more.  No litigation involved in that, just lots of greed.