[lit-ideas] Re: Are you out there, Didier?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:48:12 -0800

Now, wait a minute, Eric.  Don't say "In US medicine, for example."  US
medicine has got to be the worst in terms of red tape.

For several years I was involved in negotiating Engineering changes to the
KC-10 with the Air Force.  I was the Engineering rep in the Program Office,
but I sat in negotiations with the Contract and Pricing administrators.  I
saw all the contracts.  Most of that stuff is boiler plate.  At another time
I was Program Engineer for the delivery of the last two DC-10s.  One went to
Pakistan and the other to Nigeria.  The same red-tape was involved as with
DC-10s sold to American airlines.  We had to go through quality control
wickets, get FAA approval for any change not previously approved (not a
problem on the last 2 DC-10s) and then there were things I didn't get
involved with such as "offsets."  Things we would do for a buyer to "offset"
the price he would pay for the aircraft - such things as free pilot training
at our training facility.

I assumed Teemu was talking about European red-tape that the American
corporation wasn't good at cutting as European companies.

Lawrence