[lit-ideas] Re: Are We Happy Yet?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:02:53 -0700

On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Ursula Stange wrote:

Thanks, Mike. I saw this on a US site last night, and they didn't bother to mention where Canada was. We'd have had a higher placing before the election of the pro-Bush government we have now. But, top ten isn't bad.
Ursula, born in Austria (#3), happy in Canada (#10)

Mike Geary wrote:

The latest Top Ten happy nations are:

1. Denmark
2. Switzerland
3. Austria
4. Iceland
5. Bahamas
6. Finland

http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/62647/Monty_Python/Finland

"Spamalot" opens with many happy Finns singing the song you'll find at the website here. The explanation given in the program is that Bin Faarkrekkion, the writer --also Professor of Treadmill Dynamics at the University of Toooti (believed to be the 28th most northern university in the world)-- one day while in the sauna, suddenly decided that a musical about the transformation of Finland's predominantly agricultural base into one of the Western World's most advanced industrial economies, would make an excellent subject for a musical titled, "Dik Od Triaanenen Fol," or "Finns Ain't What They Used to Be." Clearly Eric Idle was onto something. Or on something.

Though winner of six Tony awards, "Spamalot" isn't very good.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon