[lit-ideas] Re: April poetry: Orange Sardines

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:35:48 EST

In a message dated 4/1/2005 8:26:24 PM Central Standard Time,
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx writes:
and I  loved her poem "Grace" so much,
as  well as others of hers, but since  I can't type her name I can't google
her

Dear Julie,
Might this be her and the poemt?  In any case, I have certainly  enjoyed
reading her--I was not aware of her (sad to say) before--even though she  won
in
1996 the Nobel Prize!

Thank you, April, for being chosen as The Month!!

Musing,
Marlena

There but for the  Grace
It could have happened.
It had to happen.
It happened sooner.  Later.
Nearer. Farther.
It happened not to you.
You survived because you were the first.
You survived because you were the  last.
Because you were alone. Because of people.
Because you turned left.  Because you turned right.
Because rain fell. Because a shadow  fell.
Because sunny weather prevailed.
Luckily there was a wood.
Luckily there were no trees.
Luckily there  was a rail, a hook, a beam, a brake,
a frame, a bend, a millimeter, a  second.
Luckily a straw was floating on the surface.
Thanks to, because, and yet, in spite of.
What would have happened had not  a hand, a foot,
by a step, a hairsbreadth
by sheer coincidence.
So you're here? Straight from a moment ajar?
The net had one eyehole, and  you got through it?
There's no end to my wonder, my silence.
Listen
how  fast your heart beats in me.
â?? Wislawa Szymborska