[lit-ideas] Re: April poetry: Orange Sardines

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:27:09 -0800

on 3/31/05 10:30 PM, Mirembe Nantongo at nantongo@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 6. And life too, which starts out one way sometimes - say, let's get
> married - and ends up a very long way from there - say, let's not be married
> after all - but still because of Orange Sardines the end part needs the
> beginning part in order to properly be itself, the end part, and so you have
> to be careful of the beginning part, whatever, and remember it well.
>
> 7. "Oranges: 12 Pastorals" and "Sardines" are, respectively, real poems and
> a real canvas by, respectively, Frank O'Hara and the painter Mike Goldberg,
> but it doesn't really matter if they were real things, or not, for the poem.

Having waited all morning--I'm doing taxes and not to be distracted--for
someone to compliment Mirembe for starting so well, I can wait no longer.
Were she not running a taxi service and putting the world to right
diplomatically, she would perhaps be wondering whether she had laid an egg.
No, no, Mirembe, hooray, hooray.

Whoops.  Not allowed hurrahs on this list, are we?  My prose seems to have
taken an Orange Sardine turn.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon