[lit-ideas] Apology from a Dog

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:12:57 EDT

Shouldn't be the _dog_ who says he's sorry?

In a message dated 6/16/2009 10:50:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
Later this afternoon, she and I happened to step out  our front doors at
the same moment. I told her that I was sorry our dog had  barked at her.

----

I find that people are sometimes embarrassed or get embarrassed by their
dogs.

(I'm currently training 'mine' NOT to bark at people).

But, I tend to be Gricean about it:

I think a dog _barks_ regardless. It's one of the few things they _can_  do.

I often think that were my dog able to converse with me philosophically, I
wouldn't own him (or walk him for that matter).

A dog's bark -- as in this case, Cormac watching the lady gardening -- may
mean:

        I love your gardening.

A dog has a small repertoire of things they can do. Piss, bark, shit,
sleep. Cats are different.

(They can miaow).

Implicature to follow.

J. L. Speranza