[lit-ideas] Apologies, Yost. But stay!

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:20:43 EST

In a message dated 3/1/2009 5:06:25 P.M. Eastern  Standard Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
OK, bye. Enough from you loving  folks on this time waster.

-----

I apologise on behalf of McEvoy  and Atlas if they offended you.

I liked your

>OK, bye. Enough  from you loving folks on this time waster.

I hope it does not mean that  you are unsubscribing or anything. I'd forever
miss your posts.

Yes,  McEvoy should have realised it's from Farenheit.

What a beautiful novel.  I read it in high-school. My professor (who also
taught at college)
used it  as essay topic for consideration of 'science-fiction'.
I never liked  Truffaut's version with Julie Christie, though. In fact I
never saw it!
I  enjoyed Bradbury's depiction, in the latter part of the novel, of the
'illiterates' who can
recite Plato, and all the rest of them. Very  funny.
Hardly 'science-fiction', I would say.

And I think R. Paul is  wrong in saying you _can_  say,

"Smile!"

One  idiom that came to mind:

"Smile, for God loves you". If he loves me he'll  love me even if I don't
smile.

I would distinguish between 'smile' and  'laugh' (I hope this is not
time-wasting for you, Eric).

If any of those  _means_ "express joy"

Then "Smile!" would be tantamous to "Express  joy"

which, in my vernacular, is sincere only if you _feel_ joy or are  'joyed'.
(People do say, "I'm overjoyed", so I guess they can say, "I'm joyed  too")

Yesterday I went to see Gwyneth Paltrow in Twolovers. Liked the  setting of
it. It's set in Brooklyn (forget tha name of the subway station they  take).
She goes to Met Opera once. There are some mentions of NY locale but  missed
them.
She spends one night in one of those 'dangerous' clubs.

But on the whole the film is nothing to write home about. Apparently  Paltrow
was in NYC last week for the premiere.

Cheers,

JL

steps!