[lit-ideas] Re: Anyone here know Andrea Gibson?

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 23:04:18 -0400

Mike Geary:  Actually "butchy" never occurred to me.  I must know too
many strong-minded
> women.

She's not just strong minded though, she's a lesbian too. Most
'strong-minded' women aren't lesbians, although, a lot of lesbians are
strong-minded.

> Lesbian, yes, that wasn't hard to decipher, but not butchy.

By "butchy", I wasn't talking about you know dog-collar, bull-dyke,
wearing men's underwear Butch. I was talking about the multiple
layered, generally tomboyish clothing, the short-haircut, the curtness
of her voice, the unhesitant, unrepentant swearing (not that it's a
bad thing, but it's not a GIRL thing). Like I said, it's a
butch-beauty dichotomy. Most butches aren't, IMHO, beautiful.

> Anyway, Paul's mixed critique is absolutely as legitimate as my unvarnished
> praise.
> She had me in tears a couple of times.

It was powerful and I am not immune to it. She just sounded a bit too
much like a unmitigated, unapologetic, Liberal, which of course, she
is. That's okay.

> I loved it all, but I probably have a lot more rage in me and I was so elated
> to see rage burst into blossom rather than explode in hatred.

Mike, you have NO idea how much rage I have, but mine is much more
personal than hers. I could never make it as a slammin' poet because
there is no audience for my rage -- I hate everything and everybody.