[lit-ideas] Re: Antidisestablishmentarianism (Was Grice's Mother)

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 04:39:27 -0400 (EDT)

only in a country of buffons there could be an established religion...

and it is caleld beign english...On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 9/19/2010 5:17:37  P.M., ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
On Sep 19, 2010, at 12:25 PM, John  Wager wrote:
Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
--- Herbert's wife  (Grice's mother) was a High Anglican.
(She was an aristocrat -- nee  Mabel Fenton).

I take it that she was,  therefore, likely to have been an
antidisestablishmentarian?
An  antiantidisestablishmentarianologist, I cannot approve.

"In a country with an established religion (e.g. England),
"antiestablishmentarianism" means support for the end of the special status of
the
established religion. In the 1800s, some English people opposed a movement  to
disestablish as the church exclusively recognized by the government as the
official religion of the country. That countermovement was
antidisestablishmentarianism. Antidisestablishmentarianism is usually cited as
the longest word
in the English language, but according to some definitions it  is exceeded
by several others."

Yes.

Plus, she saved Grice's life, most likely.

As Grice's biographer (S. R. Chapman) writes:

"Herbert Grice  [Grice's father, also called, like his son, Herbert Grice]
is described in his  son [Herbert Grice, the philosopher]'s college register
as 'business, retd.'. In  fact, he had owned a manufacturing business
making small metal components that  prospered during the Great War. When the
business subsequent began to fail  [after the Armistice], Mabel [Grice's mother,
an  antidesestablishmentarianologist] stepped in to save the family
finances by  taking in pupils [NOT in philosophy. It was a prep]. She
[charitably]
included  [her own son, Herbert Grice, the philosopher] in this miniature
school. This  reversal of roles explains Herbert's [Grice's father, also
called "Herbert",  like his son] early retirement. After the failure of the
manufacturing business  [due to Peace], he [Grice's father, Herbert, the
non-conformist] did not attempt  another venture, preferring, instead [as if
this
were not a venture -- how  materialist can S. R. Chapman be?] to concentrate
on his skills as a concert  cellist. His musical talent was inherinted by his
son [Herbert, the philosopher  -- as Geary's musical talent was inherited
from his [Geary's] mother -- surely  musical talent is a matter of heritage,
no?]."

----

Grice's musical talent is evidenced in the many songs that he mentions as
regards implicature:

"She was poor but she was honest" ---- this for Grice carries a
'conventional implicature' to the effect that honesty and money are NOT
hand-in-hand.

"You're the cream in my coffee" -- this for Grice has to be interpreted as
'metaphoric' (rather than "as per the explicature, that the addressee is a
white  liquid substance").

"Every nice girl loves a sailor" -- this for Grice has to be understood as
'hyperbolic' and with a substitutional distributional account of the
object-quantifier, 'a' sailor. It's not ONE same sailor that every nice girl
loves, but SOME sailor (or other). Oddly Grice was R. N., so that's the tar
that  was that was loved by all the nice girls.

Etc.

Speranza

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)