[lit-ideas] Anthony O'Hear (Is: McEvoy, "The Truth About Lies"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:49:43 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2010 7:33:36 A.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

"At a LSE Popper lecture evening (some years ago), Prof.O'Hear  criticised
P for his lack of understanding of the need for society to limit its
"honesty" [O'Hear was taking the ruthless search for truth by critical
discussion, that underpins P's epistemology, to imply ruthless honesty in all
situations - a crass implication that is not drawn in Popper's own work afaik].

O'Hear's remarks smacked of the kind of Wittgensteinian critique of P's
advocacy  of (unfortunately termed) "social engineering" that was put forward
by
Peter  Winch, and was similarly misguided and fatuous."

Oddly, I think O'Hear is a genius. That should not surprise me, since I
have a systematic tendency to admire all the philosophers that McEvoy
despises!

---

O'Hear criticised early enough in Grice's career Grice's career! But he
failed!

Abstract for O'Hair's "Implication" essay in Theoria (1969):

"IN MANY CASES, UTTERANCES CONTAINING A CERTAIN WORD OFTEN OR USUALLY
INVOLVE A CERTAIN IMPLICATION. IS THIS PART OF THE MEANING OF THE WORD? GRICE'S

SUGGESTION THAT SUCH IMPLICATIONS ARE TO BE EXPLAINED AS DUE, NOT TO THE
MEANING  OF THE PARTICULAR WORD, BUT TO SOME GENERAL RULE GOVERNING
CONVERSATION IS  EXAMINED. GRICE'S TENTATIVE FORMULATION OF SUCH A RULE IS
DISCUSSED,
AND IT IS  ARGUED THAT IT SHOULD BE REPLACED BY TWO SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT
RULES, ONE  CONCERNED ONLY WITH THE CONTENT OF WHAT IS SAID, THE OTHER
CONCERNED ALSO WITH  THE WORDS UTTERED. SOME QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE STATUS OF
SUCH RULES ARE  INVESTIGATED BRIEFLY."

J. L. Speranza
--- Courtesy of the Grice Club.
----- Bordighera.

(I know, 'despise' is a strong verb, and unfair to McEvoy's charitable
nature!)