[lit-ideas] Re: Anonymity and revelation...

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:09:43 -0500

You're right, but so do doctors and lawyers.  Experience is everything.

I have enormous respect for "professionals" -- but
> certainly not one whit more than for an expert mechanic, a knowledgeable
> plumber or electrician or carpenter or any technician who KNOWS what he's
> doing.

Agreed.  These people are like angels when you need one.  Maybe, knock on
wood, I've had more plumbing problems (such as I've had, not that many)
than health problems, so if it came to choosing between a doctor or a
plumber (or car mechanic, or electrician), it'd be like choosing between
food and water (no pun intended).

These people can kill you if they make mistakes in their jobs.  What
> professional has that responsibility?  OK, doctors, yes -- some of them.
But
> they're such rich, arrogant assholes who could cares about them (except
> Doctors Without Borders, they're saints)?  Your dismissal of the trades
> bespeaks your profound ignorance of the knowledge they require -- not
book
> knowledge, though there's more of that than you would guess, but
> experiential knowledge, that's what makes a good tradesman.  Higher
> education, indeed.  How "higher"?  Knowledge is knowledge.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.  I'm not dismissing their expertise.  You're
absolutely right, not even mentioning that with as expensive as cars are
today, maintaining them is almost like investing money.

> " I admit that most plumbers and electricians don't come close to even
the
> half baked efforts of professionals.."
>
> I'm sorry, but that sentiment just flies all over me.  It angers me.  You
> have no fucking idea what work is.  What it takes for human beings to
> survive in extremely complicated societies.  Your flippant dismissal of
> those who keep you alive angers me, but doesn't surprise me, it's pretty
> typical of our culture.

I'm sorry I upset you, but that last comment I stand by.  Most plumbers,
electricians, and for that matter, dentists and doctors, have little need
to write unless they're rendering reports, usually for lawyers.  One
doesn't do well what one doesn't do.  Regarding work, I do know what work
is, and I live in society.  I didn't dismiss plumber and electricians,
only their writing skills.  I also said that professionals should be better
with language because that in fact is their stock in trade.