[lit-ideas] Re: Annie Proulx [antifreeze]

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:59:46 -0500

I think something like 4 oz. is supposed to kill a man.  Why would it be so
excruciatingly painful, I wonder.  Urea backing up in the bloodstream might
lead to hallucinations I would think.  Once the kidneys fail I would
imagine an accelerated congestive heart failure might set in  from the
fluid that's being retained, which might leave someone feeling like they're
drowning.  Or it might be like frying the internal organs, akin to lethal
injection.  But I didn't think organs have pain receptors; it's why (I'm
almost positively sure)during a heart attack the pain is in the arm and
peripheral areas, because the heart itself can't feel pain.  I know that
following Katrina dogs and other animals in New Orleans would drink the
contaminated water and stagger away, presumably to die.  It would be
interesting to know the exact cause of death from ethylene glycol.