[lit-ideas] Annibaliana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 09:34:26 -0400

In a message dated 4/5/2015 6:47:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"Well, the novels came first, which I haven't read, but I understand it is
a name from his Lithuanian ancestor, Hannibal the Grim."

Well, here we seem to have a case of rigid designation! (alla Kripke).

My interest is melodramma, and Salieri has an "Annibale in Capua" (1801),
which is better than much that Mozart ever wrote! The original plot (or
'trama', as Italians call it) concerns the Battle of Capua, during the Punic
War, fought by Annibale (trust the Italians to drop the Phoenician "H", which
went "out of fashion" soon after Romolo founded Roma), in 211 a. C.. at
Capua, Campania, Italia. The battle ended with the capture of Capua by the
Romans. The good characters (dramatis personae) are Quintus Fulvio Flaccus,
and Appio Claudio Pulcher, the bad ones are Hannibal, Bostar, and Hanno, son
of Bomilcar.

"Hannibal" is a given ("and taken", as Geary adds -- "what's the good of
giving a name if you are not going to take it?") name of
Phoenician/Carthaginian origin. Its continued use in later times and cultures,
up to the
present, is mainly due to the historical fame of Carthiginian General Hannibal
(247–183/182 BC), who fought the Roman Republic in the Second Punic War

It must have inspired Harris, who has a summer house in Sag Harbour, Long
Island.

In an interview, Harris explained it all -- "But I misplaced that
interview, somewhere", Geary adds).

Harris was born in Jackson, Tennessee, and moved as a child with his family
to Rich, Mississippi.

Harris was introverted and bookish in grade school.

Harris attended Baylor University in Waco, Texas, where he majored in
English.

While in college, Harris worked as a reporter for the local newspaper, the
Waco Tribune-Herald, covering the police beat.

Harris later moved to New York City to work for the Associated Press until
1974 when he began work on Black Sunday.

Cheers,

Speranza