[lit-ideas] Re: Annals of Ancient Roman Literature

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 13:16:11 -0700

Don't know nuffink about no Roman lit-rit-chure, but I got a Latin question.
The Latin for "iron," "ferrum" is listed on websites as being also a word for
"sword." Knowing a little about sword history, I wondered whether "ferrum" and
"gladius" co-existed or whether the development of the bloomery furnace (isn't
that a word!), pattern welding and then steel caused "ferrum" to fade from
Roman vocabulary as technology improved. I suppose what I'd need is an OED for
Latin, something with historical entries on usage Or people on a list who know
stuff like this.

David Ritchie,
idling on a Sunday in
Portland,