[lit-ideas] Re: Ancestral Dialectics

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:37:18 +0900

When friends ask why Ruth and I settled in Japan, one of our favorite
answers is that we are Americans doing the classic American thing, heading
West to find a new place to live. Of course, from a deeper historical
perspective, we are also the descendants of the Goths, Vandals, etc., who
swarmed out of central Asia to conquer the Roman Empire.

Now our daughter, who grew up in Japan, is back in Virginia where I grew
up, except that she's in Fairfax, a Washington suburb, instead of in Dare,
which is located on the Peninsula seven miles east of Yorktown.

So, yes. This poem speaks to me.

John

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 6:23 AM, Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I like it. A keeper for sure.
>

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Lawrence Helm <
> lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>             From New England in the Seventeenth
>>
>>             Century they moved west, many of them,
>>
>>             Stopping in Indiana and Illinois for
>>
>>             The Civil War and then came further
>>
>>             West.  What does it now mean
>>
>>             That I have lived so long near
>>
>>             The Pacific, swimming, diving,
>>

>>             Spearing fish, sailing to Japan
>>
>>             And back again? Was it Japan
>>
>>             And Korea I truly sought?
>>
>>             I thought so for a while,
>>
>>             Reaching toward them to touch
>>
>>             But came back again.  That couldn't
>>
>>             Have been it.  I've since moved
>>

>>             Part way up a mountain and sit
>>
>>             By a window watching a low-hung
>>
>>             Cloud full, or partly so, of rain
>>
>>             Which won't be salty like the sea
>>
>>             But perhaps just what I need to
>>
>>             Determine which direction I should take,
>>
>>             Whether to pull further back or move on

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324