[lit-ideas] Re: An odd thing

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:35:58 -0400

David had sent it to us some time back. It's worth the reprise. Thanks,
Ursula

Robert Paul wrote:

After I read David's poem this morning in the flesh and blood newspaper (while sipping my decaf and gloating over the moral imprfectibility of the world) I had a mind to forward the link to it to the list, but then I saw, as David did, that the poem on the screen did not much resemble the poem on the page and did not.

Here's the poem as it should be.

At the Scottish Highland Dance Competition

For much of today I have stood pretty
much as a Dad should and held
onto all their hopes and jackets.
I have bought raffle tickets
and a gray fleece I didn't need,
to help the cause.
Now I shall take my fleshed bones home,
open a beer, maybe relax in a chair with a book.
Fatherhood is oddly good.
You could not pay me
to have hair again.

                      —David Ritchie, Portland