[lit-ideas] Re: An odd thing

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:15:46 -0700

David Ritchie wrote:

Here's an odd thing. If you visit Oregonlive.com and enter my name into the search engine, you come to a poem that the Oregonian published today. But the odd thing is that the site re-formats the poem. It's fine in the newspaper, jumbled into paragraphs on the website.

Why would this be? Clumsy data entry? Something about how the site is set up--an inability to deal with hard returns perhaps?

After I read David's poem this morning in the flesh and blood newspaper (while sipping my decaf and gloating over the moral imprfectibility of the world) I had a mind to forward the link to it to the list, but then I saw, as David did, that the poem on the screen did not much resemble the poem on the page and did not.

Here's the poem as it should be.

At the Scottish Highland Dance Competition

For much of today I have stood pretty
much as a Dad should and held
onto all their hopes and jackets.
I have bought raffle tickets
and a gray fleece I didn't need,
to help the cause.
Now I shall take my fleshed bones home,
open a beer, maybe relax in a chair with a book.
Fatherhood is oddly good.
You could not pay me
to have hair again.

                      —David Ritchie, Portland