[lit-ideas] Re: Amis Antithesis

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:19:10 +0200

On 20. Sep 2006, at 22:28, Eric Yost wrote:

… everything that went seriously wrong … like Wal-Mart …

I was truly shocked the day I heard that Wal-Mart was the biggest employer in America. (I took 'is the biggest employer in America' to mean 'employs more people in America than any other corporation, company, agency or institution' and not 'is the biggest corporation, company, agency or institution in America that employs people'). Is that still true?

But perhaps the tide has turned. Are people outside of Germany aware that Wal-Mart has, after several years of unsuccessfully attempting to make inroads here, left Germany? (I think that, among other things, the rather 'restrictive' anti-dumping laws were too much for them. Here in Germany they have this crazy notion that there must be something wrong with constantly selling things at prices far below the price that one has initially paid for them.)

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany