[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:25:05 -0500

Andy Amago wrote:

Most poetry loses in the translation. I remember when I watched the
Simpsons in Russian. It was not the Simpsons. The words were translated,
but it was no longer the Simpsons. I've never read any Shakespeare in
Russian. I can't imagine what that's like. I should dig some up and see
how it sounds in Russian. Maybe just the "to be or not to be" soliloquy. Stories and prose are doable. Poetry is virtually impossible.

Shakespeare, apparently, does quite well in German, due mostly to Goethe. Or so I'm told; I can buy wurst in German, but that's about all. Since we have several genuine German speakers on the list who are also literate enough to know Shakespeare: Is it true? Does Shakespeare "go into" German well? What's the main remainder?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA