[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:05:30 -0500

EY:

The student-reader community is seldom right about poetry, or to be less dogmatic here, the student-reader community has an unschooled opinion.

I have no problem with this except, of course, that there's nothing in poetry to be "right" about. There are various levels of sophistication, to be sure, and often those levels depend on schooling. But schooling or the study of poetry can and often is antithetical to the soul of poetry and it's appreciation.

Poetry and the traditions of poetry are important especially because they preserve cultural values,

No, no, no, no. If you want to use schools to preserve cultural values, then teach history, sociology, political science, anthropology, religion, ethics but for God's sake don't cheapen poetry by making it a vehicle for cultural propaganda -- I mean 'values.'

...contemporary poets now give us prose lineated as poetry, as generation after generation of poets was taught to abandon meter and metaphor altogether in favor of trying to write philosophy, social commentary, private diaries, and essays with a ragged right edge.

If you had written "some contemporary poets", I could agree with you. Of those who do write philosophy, social commentary, private diaries and essays in the guise of poetry, some write really lousy poetry and some write brilliant poetry. It's not the subject of poetry that matters, it's the technique.

Now poetry is belittled and marginalized -- no longer a force for anything in culture, except among an increasingly alienated elite who find it difficult to say just what it is they're doing, and why, to ordinary people.

That's not my understanding. I haven't seen any recent sales reports but in 2000 Barnes & Noble and

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>