[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:22:41 -0700

You aren't making a whole lot of sense here, Mike.  A poet creates a poem
and he has something in mind when he does so.  Interpreting the poem
involves trying to figure out what that is.  The reader doesn't get to make
up his own idea.  Oh sure he can say what he thinks it means, but if the
teacher has some evidence that he is wrong and tells the student, the
student should correct his interpretation.  You can have your own theory,
but you don't get to make things up.  It is the poet's poem, not the
readers.  I think the teacher was at fault for not explaining to his
students that they were engaging in anachronistic thinking -- and I'll bet
he did.  It just makes his article more interesting to leave that part out.

And what do you mean when you say that at heart I'm a formalist?  Formalism
means an interest in formal poetry, sonnets, Iambic pentameter, regular
lines, regular forms.  You have seen my poetry so you know I'm not a
Formalist . . . unless your note is poetry and you are making up your
definition of formalism -- following your own rule.  In this case you would
mean that suggesting a poet had something particular in mind when he wrote a
poem is formalism (at heart).  Because the next thing you know a reader
might want to know what that was instead of relying upon his own imagination
for an interpretation.  And with that domino falling the whole chaotic world
might fall and order be discovered after all.   Then where would we be?

Buttttttt if your interpretation is "the right one" as you say, then I don't
get to make up my own interpretation which violates your principle.  Mike!
I trust you know what this means: At heart you must be a formalist!

Lawrence