[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:59:48 -0500

My point, Lawrence, is that there's no correct way to approach literature or
any art.  I tend toward reader-response criticism more than any other,
certainly more so than formalism or New Criticism though I think they all have
valid points to make.  Deconstruction can be fun, but I've never read a
deconstructive critique that brought me more understanding and appreciation for
the work itself, only amusement at life's inherent incoherence.  Knowing
Berryman wrote a poem may tell us something about Berryman, but it says nothing
about the work itself.  Only you as a reader can give meaning to it or -- as
Stanley Fish would say -- only you as a member of a reading community.

For any not familiar with Reader-Response (or Reader-Oriented) criticism, I
include Roethke's poem's My Papa's Waltz and a URL to a Reader-Response essay
around the poem.

My Papa's Waltz

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;