[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:12:52 -0400

Alcohol releases inhibitions, prompting, as they say, the act but ruining
the performance.  If alcohol improved anything cognitive, or anything at
all, then drunk driving would not be against the law.  I'm sure Hart Crane
thought he was brilliant when drunk.

As to Lawrence's contention that Berryman was happy but drank himself to
death anyway, followed by actually jumping off a bridge to his death, if
Berryman was happy drunk, then why did he stop drinking, given that he
killed himself anyway?  Why didn't he just happily drink himself to death?

As far as someone pronouncing there is no unconscious, well that certainly
settles it.  There was no Stalin-Hitler pact because the Soviets said there
wasn't, there was no Holocaust because some say there isn't, there is no
unconscious because someone proclaimed there isn't.  An appropriate
mentality for these here New Middle Ages, no doubt about that.