[lit-ideas] America, the Failed State (was: India's fondness for America)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:31:45 -0600

You're wrong, Lawrence, America is not a Failed State. I must admit I was shocked seeing you argue that it is. You seem to have a pretty nice spread out there in San Jacinto and your dogs aren't bone jutty. So for you to claim that America is a Failed State, tells me there must be something reasoned very wrong for you to believe that. Let's look at your reasons.

(1) You claim that America has the highest crime rate in the world. That's not true. It is true that the US incarcerates the largest number of people in the world and that the incarceration rate is 4 times the world average and that some US states imprison up to six times the number of people as do nations of comparable population, and that the US incarcerates the most women in the world. But not to worry. You're very white and so you're six times less likely to be incarcerated as an African American, half as likely as a Latino. Just be sure to wear you skin white side out when you leave the house. (http://www.nccd-crc.org/nccd/pubs/2006nov_factsheet_incarceration.pdf)

As to comparable international crime rates, that's difficult to assess because there's no universal reckoning of what is a crime, nevertheless, there's this survey by the UN at (http://www.unodc.org/pdf/crime/seventh_survey/7sc.pdf.) Unfortunately, there's no synopsis so you'll have to go through the list country by country to determine who wins the bad guy award. I'm quite confident it won't be the US. So you see, your despondency over America is unfounded. Certainly our incarceration rates are abominable and reflects a residual substratum of racism throughout the country, but remember this, I was a twenty year on man sitting in a barbecue sandwich shop in Memphis when a Negro (that was the PC word then) entered and before the man could say "How do you do?", the cook-server-clerk shouted: "We don't serve niggers here!" That was only 42 years ago. Now they're only too happy to serve African Americans (except maybe for Denny's and, of course, there's Cracker Barrel won't hire no goddamn queers). This country is great. A long way to go still, yes, but it's getting better and better everyday -- thanks to the Leftists working to make it so. We have no thousand year old Slovak-Croat-Albania ethnic hatreds holding us up. Just 400 year old ones. But we're a lot further along than most nations in ridding ourselves of nationalistic and ethnic and religious stupidities. For instance, take that bigoted, fascist little shithead Virgil Goode, the Representative from Virginia who objected to Keith Ellison, the newly elected Representative from Montana, swearing in on the Koran instead of the Bible. If Virgil had had his way, I would agree, America is a Failed State, but he didn't have his way. America is still a free country even if under attack at home by indigenous fascists.

(2) You claim America has the worst political corruption. That's absurd. Yes, it's true that K Street owns several members of Congress, but so what? So do Labor Unions, so do the Evangelicals, so does Israel, so do the Handicapped, so do the Toothless too, not to mention the Aim of Idiots, aka, the NRA. That's not corruption, Lawrence, that's the game. Money matters. Pool your resources, buy your own Marvin's Garden Representative or, if you're one of the lucky ones, your own Park Place Senator. Free enterprise makes it possible to own any Congressman we can afford. No Representation without Taxation -- that's what people forget and campaign contributions are just another form of taxation. America is not a Failed State, it works perfectly. Too many people own too many Congressmen for that not to be true.

(3) You claim America has an out of control economy -- ach, you know what? I don't care. Like Brian, I'm tired of this question. But I can't end this without taking issue with you over your statement: "Jesus once told his critics, 'before Abraham was, I am,' and they took up stones to kill him. He didn't say, 'I am God,' but he described himself as having an attribute of deity and his critics understood him." -- No, they misunderstood him. They thought he was claiming to be the Messiah. He was just saying that he was OF GOD as we all are. There's nothing but God. There's nothing that's not sacred. Jesus got that right, at least. That's more than you can say for most of humanity. Jesus wasn't an American or a Jew or a Muslim or a Christian or a Croat or a Swede, he was just God like all of us, like the dogs, like the cats, like Mohammed, like Willie Horton, like Jeffery Dahmer, like you, like me. Jesus knew. And he knew there's no such thing as a Failed State. There are just Gods who have failed to rise above the pettiness that plays so rough, walk upside down inside handcuffs, crash it off say: OK I'd had enough, what else can you show me? (That from God Bob.) It goes and it goes.

Mike Geary
very tired of politics
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: Lawrence Helm