[lit-ideas] Re: Am I subscribed?

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 28 Apr 2004 22:04:20 PDT

>oh c'mon, Robert -- you can do better than that.  Where's your ontological
play? what about a Heideggarian response?  What does "I am subscribed" really
mean?  What does "I am" mean?  explain all the questions re. existence and
recognition thereof...  I want phenomenology here...  and bring in some
Wittgenstein...  then move to Derrida and decon acrobatics...  "am I
subscribed"
merely elicits "apparently"???  geeze....  (must be finals week).<

Ms. Krueger, longing for profundity, fails to find it under her very nose. She
seems to find 'apparently' lacking in depth (or even a modicum of breadth),
although it is in fact, a measured philosophical response that comes out of a
long and noble sceptical tradition in which the difference between appearance
and reality has been contested for centuries. To say that andy amago was in fact
subscribed beyond all doubt would be to accept the view that there is a way to
penetrate the veil of apperances (or, as one of John Wager's students might have
said, the 'Vale of Appearances') and see the world as it is, not as it seems.
This is a dubious course--dubious in this case because surely it can easily be
doubted that andy amago is _really_ subscribed: 'andy amago' may, for all I
know, be a fictitious name, with no real referent), and further, for all I know,
he may have 'subscribed' under duress, which would make his contract with
freelists.org null and void, allowing for the possibility that he is not really
subscribed after all, and is free to come and go as he pleases, a phrase which
itself immediately raises the problem of free will, not to mention a number of
contentious points in the philosophy of jurisprudence.

In saying that he was _apparently_ subscribed, I put myself in the place of the
epistemologist who, upon being asked if those were sheep in the meadow, answered
'They appear to be, on this side.' The evidence I have in this case would seem
to count in favor of mr. amago's being subscribed. But I do not have all the
evidence there is.

Robert Paul
No more teachers, no more books at
Mutton College