[lit-ideas] Re: Alternate Views of Multiculturalism -long as usual

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:33:43 -0600

After 9/11 I threw out all my Rumi, Kabir, Sa'di,
Hafiz, Anvari, and Naser-e Khosrow translations. Threw my Koran in the trash. Tossed my Robert Bly spoken word translations of Kabir and Rumi, sacked my Stephen Mitchell panglossian ecumenist readings.

That's too bad, Eric. My aunt used to tell the story of when she taught Sunday School in Widener, AR (even though she was Catholic and not Baptist, at least she could read and so accepted that basis), there was a boy about 12 who stopped coming to Sunday School and when she asked him why, he told her that he had no use for Jesus since finding out he was a Jew. Your purging of your library seems on an intellectual par. I hope you're exaggerating. If not, your misIslamicism is seriously starting to affect your judgment, I fear. Maybe you should seek help before you end up like Lawrence, rejoicing in books that call for Armageddon. (just kidding, Lawrence) (kinda).

Mike Geary