[lit-ideas] Re: Also from today's BBC

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:47:41 -0700

Andreas Ramos wrote:

In previous wars, the US military kept track of deaths in combat. It's necessary to know how effective the military is performing.

I don't think we're on the same page at all here. The original topic was the death toll of Iraqi civilians.

By 'deaths in combat' I meant, civilian deaths caused intentionally or accidentally (and there are genuine accidents in war) by military operations. The US military did not keep track of these in any past war. (See, once again, the allied bombings in WW II.) They may have known of some: they would have been known in some cases, guessed at in others, and a matter of indifference many; Vietnam comes to mind.

Otherwise, 'deaths in combat' is ambiguous between civilian deaths caused by the military; enemy combatants' deaths; and the deaths of US
personnel. The first is mostly unknowable at the time (and in fact is never known precisely); the second is often unknowable (although it may be known to the enemy; and the third is, of course, the most closely
known.

Knowing the number of civilians killed by military action is an odd way of determining how well the military is performing except no doubt to Genghis Khan.

Robert Paul
Reed College

It was decided in Iraq I and Iraq II that the US military would not collect or publish these numbers; it could lead to US public disenchantment with war. So we have no idea how many died in Iraq 1, where nearly all of the deaths were caused by US military attacks, incl. wholesale slaughter of retreating troops.

Around 30% of the deaths in Iraq are caused by US military actions. This is based on a study by Iraqi hospitals. Subsequently, the Iraqi hospitals were ordered to not collect, share, or publish the information.