[lit-ideas] Re: Algerian Salafist Group for Prayer and Combat

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:22:18 -0400

Not to mention that people just don't care about anything that doesn't
affect them directly.  Did you know that there are 50 lobbyists at the cost
of $3 million each for every Congressman in the U.S.?  Did you know that 1%
of the population of the U.S. owns 35% of the wealth of this country?  Did
you know that when addressing the hyper-rich (the billionaires; not
millionaires, billionaires), Bush said, some call you the elite.  I call
you my base; the haves and have-mores.  Most people don't even know it's
happening.  The middle class is the economic engine of this country.  Bush
doesn't even know there is a middle class except to collect money from it
to give to the elite.  Regarding Somalia and Ethiopia, most people couldn't
tell you where North Dakota is let alone Somalia.  Most people are clueless
that this country is quickly becoming a has been.

For Steve, just wondering, seriously, is there historical precedent for one
population militarily subduing another population on a consistent level
such that life is more than survival?  I can't think of one.  The Romans,
but the populations they were controlling were not local.  I doubt a
military solution will work.  Even in this case it hasn't worked for 60
years.  What makes you think it will work this time?  Without U.S. help it
will be much more difficult, and the U.S. thanks to Bush's help is on the
wane.  So far his policies have been gifts to Iran and that's it.  We're
becoming irrelevant except for the mess we can generate.