[lit-ideas] Re: Al Zarqawi

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 13:29:28 -0700 (PDT)

Likewise, if you'd offer some ideas, maybe you wouldn't have to attack.  Lead
by example, Mike, show me how it's done.

Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  AA:
>> My point was that the sadness lies in the fact that the world created a
>> Zarqawi in the first place. <<

Yes, but not by design. All of us are born into specific, particular
circumstances. We live our lives dealing with those circumstances, they
shape us. I have no doubt that Zarqawi believed he was doing God's will,
just as George Bush does. Bush and Zarqawi -- shaped by the circumstances
they were born into (which were opposites in many ways) -- turned out to be
cut from the same cloth which they both called the cloak of necessity and
which they wrapped themselves in as they ordered death to thousands. Our
pre-emptive war in Iraq on fraudulent charges has killed more people than
Zarqawi managed. But it was done for good reasons. So were Zarqawi's
bloody murders. The destruction our government has visited upon those
people is unforgivable in my book, and I would like to see the Bush
Administration brought before a Court of International Justice. I seriously
doubt that will every happen in my life time, but I believe such things are
coming down the pike and that maybe my grandchildren will live to see such
wonders.

Of course "the world created a Zarqawi in the first place." The world
creates us all. Without exception. I doubt that any on this list would
refute that. 99% of the African American men sitting in jail right now are
there because you and I sent them there. We, as white worlders, we're
responsible, Irene. You're as guilty as all the rest of us. The guy who
robs you should go to jail. That you and me and our gang have robbed him
from the moment of his conception -- that's another matter. Of course "the
world created a Zarqawi in the first place." But what do we do about that?
Bush says Kill him. He would, being exactly like him. I doubt very many on
this list don't see Zarqawi as the product of his history. Just as Bush is.
And you are. And I am.

>> Yes, he was created, by humans, as others are being created right this
>> very moment, and no one cares. <<

This is the kind of sentence that pisses me off when I read "Andy". Where
do you, Andy, come off saying "no one cares"? Are you accusing the list
members of not caring? Or are you speaking rhetorically about the human
condition? Do you honestly think that no one on this list appreciates the
psychological-social-economic-cultural forces at work that shape us all?
Zarqawi turned to murder to effect his ideas. So did Bush. I abjure them
both. I think Eric's Wicked Witch Song was sophomoric -- I remember when it
was announced in the schools in Memphis that President Kennedy had been
assassinated, in most of the white schools here, there was cheering and
jubilation. Reading Eric, I thought of the video clips of Palestinians
cheering and dancing in the streets on learning of the Twin Towers attack.
We're all thirsty for revenge. Eric's song saddened me, your accusations
angered me. You are not more knowing, nor more feeling, nor more caring,
nor more human than the rest of us here. I am very sorry to be so blunt. I
always liked Irene Cassidy. I admired her standing up to the Academes with
no more letters after her name than I. She was opinionated, but not
dismissive off everyone else as Andy often is -- or so he seems to me. I
wish Irene would come back to the list. Again, I am sorry if this offends
you or hurts your feelings. If you would just stop attacking, and offer
your ideas instead, I think you'd find a friendly audience. Maybe even an
amenable one.

Mike Geary

http://mail.yahoo.com