[lit-ideas] Re: Al Zarqawi

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:36:53 -0400

Look at Eric's post about al Zarqawi and tell me what you think.

Well, the rhyme scheme and meter work in the first four lines, but when I shifted to direct parody of the munchkin song it broke down. This is not too surprising, since the lyrics of the munchkin song rely on the music, which is of course absent here. Without the music, it doesn't scan, and really shouldn't.

As for the part about correspondents applauding -- and these are mostly non-American correspondents at the press conference -- they did break into loud and spontaneous applause. You may be able to catch a repeat of the initial announcement on C-Span.

"Zarqawi is eliminated."

[Loud, spontaneous applause.]