[lit-ideas] Re: Aid Sought: Was ist metaphysic?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 16:38:30 -0230

The word "ought" marks it as a prescriptive claim. It's not so much that they
need to be not to do so - only that the justifiability of their claims needs to
be translated into public discourse, terms of "public reason" (Kant). Surely
there's nothing epistemically or morally suspect about that in a democracy por
for a Kantian conception of moral justifiability. (I.e., if your religion finds
lesbian relations or masturbation or contraception to be an abomination and your
kid's sex and health class presents these as  an alternative lifestyle or
permissible practices, we need to respect "public reason" here. Park your
religion at the school door or send your kid to a religious school.

Walter O

P.S. When Martin Luther King Jr says that we are all God's creatures, I think I
know what he means, though I'd still like some articulation.  When The
Ayatollah of Iran says that, I'm quick to ... no, not reach for my gun ... but
ask for a translation into public speech/reason to see if a "fusion of
horizons" is posible here.