[lit-ideas] Re: Aid Sought: Was ist metaphysic?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:31:56 -0230

Donal,

I take it you understand what is meant by the claim that we live in a
post-metaphysical world, as argued for by such Kantian Constructivists as John
Rawls, Christine Korsgaard, Juergen Habermas and Thomas Scanlon, amongst
others. As I see it, it is the claim that "public speech/reason" (Rawls) or
"discourse" / "argumentation (Habermas) ought not to include metaphysical
commitments and arguments (either of a religious or secular sort) in support of
policies and actions since these are not universalizable.  The father of such a
claim I believe is Kant: his prioritization of moral law over conceptions of
the good/authentic life, and the differentiation of "public reason" from
"private reason." Why is this "ludicrous?"  JL, looks like we may need some
etymology on this term.

Living quite comfortably in a post-metaphysical world,

Walter O