[lit-ideas] Re: Aid Sought: Was ist metaphysic?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:17:51 +0000 (GMT)

Perhaps it best to start by explaining what metaphysics is not. Here a useful
answer is that science is not metaphysics, where by science we mean those
claims that are 'testable by observation' in some way.

This means that metaphysics may be taken broadly as that field that concerns
claims that are not 'testable by observation' in the way scientific claims are.

After that there are various ways of dividing up that broad field and various
questions that arises as to the status and methods of any investigation into
claims that are not 'testable by observation'.

Donal
Who finds the idea that "we live in a post-metaphysical world" as ludicrous as
the claim we have reached "The End of History"
London